Wednesday, July 22, 2026

AEF 3. Lesson 4A. Grammar: can, could, be able to (ability and possession)

 


  • Can is used for present ability and possibility  

    I can dance. / I'm sorry, but I can't help you.


  • Can is informally used for offers and requests  

Can I help you? / Can I make a suggestion?

  • Could is used for past ability and possibility ("We couldn't finish the project on time." / "She could read when she was three years old.")

  • Could is neutrally used for offers and requests ("Could you open the door for me, please?")

  • Be able to is used for present, past, and future ability and possibility ("Are you able to swim?" / "Were you able to swim?" / "Will you be able to swim?")

  • Be able to is also used to discuss the success or failure of an action ("We weren't able to find the book you wanted.")

  • Be able to can be used with other verbs, including modals ("She should be able to attend the conference." / "I want to be able to play the flute.")


Explain why you agree or disagree.

No comments:

Post a Comment