Tuesday, October 8, 2024

9th grade. Unit 1. Lesson 9. A debate

 👉Communicative area: debating

What do you think children should do if their parents are abusive?

15 Signs of Abusive Parents


You are going to have a debate on the following topic: "Children must obey all of their parents’ rules". Follow the steps below. 

1. Divide into two teams: “for” / “against”. 
2. Get ready to present your “case”. You will need to present your arguments for / against providing examples / statistics / quotes to prove what you say. All students should have to speak. The group leader should make sure that everyone has a point to deliver during the speaking stages. 
3. Go online. Find information that can help you present your arguments.

Отзыв

Hold your debate. Follow the plan.


1. 5 minutes: Opening Statement (Side A); 
2. 5 minutes: Opening Statement (Side B); 
3. 7 minutes: Preparation for rebuttal; 
4. 3 minutes: Rebuttal (Side A); 
5. 3 minutes: Rebuttal (Side B); 
6. 2 minutes: Closing Statement (Side A); 
7. 2 minutes: Closing Statement (Side B). 

Work in pairs (a student from the team for vs a student from the team against). 
Who do you think vote the debate? 
What were the most convincing arguments? 
As a class, decide which team won. 
  Useful phrases for a debate:

  • I see your point, but I think…
  • Yes, I understand, but my opinion is that…
  • That's all very interesting, but the problem is that…
  • I'm afraid I can't quite agree with your point.-
  • I think I've got your point, now let me respond to it.-
  • We can see what you're saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment