Tuesday, May 7, 2024

8th grade. Unit 8. Lesson 3. It's a great read.

👉Communicative area: recommending a book and sharing opinions about the book

👉Active vocabulary: gripping, thought-provoking, monotonous, to admire, to be set in/on, to convey a powerful message, to live up to all the hype, unexpected twists, a masterpiece



1. How do you choose a book to read? 
Do you ask your friends / parents / teachers for advice? Do you google the bestseller lists? Do you go to a bookshop and pick the book with an attractive cover? 
2. Do you ever go to the library? 
When did you last go there? 
When you go to the library, do you ask the librarian for advice? 
3. Do you think libraries are necessary in the modern world?



Read a girl’s opinion on the book. Does she like it? Have you read the book? If yes, do you agree with the girl? 

Last week I borrowed “The Hunger Games” from the library. The book is set in the future. My friends said the book was a masterpiece, a real work of art. They all read it from cover to cover in a day because the plot was gripping with a lot of unexpected twists, but I found it a bit monotonous. It didn’t live up to all the hype at all: I expected much more from it. Actually, I thought it was really violent. A lot of people were killed and I got upset. I even wanted to give it up halfway through the book. Perhaps (возможно) it was thought-provoking and conveyed a powerful message, but I just didn’t get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment