Saturday, April 29, 2023

IELTS Speaking - Part 1: Holidays


 Holidays

  •           What do you do when you have a holiday?
  •        Who do you usually spend holiday with?
  •        Where do you like to spend your holidays? Why?
  •        Can you describe a typical day in your holidays?
  •        Why are holidays and important to you?
  •        If you could take a holiday anywhere in the world, where would you go? Why?
  •        What do people usually do during holidays and in your town?
1. What do you do in your holidays?

Sometimes I travel to broaden my horizons, to admire the beauty of nature and to plunge myself into the picturesque landscape in other regions in my country. Every now and then, I just stay at home with my family and have a little get-together to celebrate the holidays.

2. Who do you usually spend the holiday with?

It depends on what kind of holiday it is. If it’s Christmas vacation, I prefer to hang out with my friends here and there and have a chit-chat. If it’s New Year holiday, I just want to celebrate the holiday with my family and relatives in a cozy ambience.

3. Do you prefer travelling alone or in a group?

I would say that I’m kind of an introvert so I would rather travel alone to some tranquil and peaceful beauty spots than travel with a group of people during the holiday.

4. Why are holidays important to you?

A holiday is a perfect time for recharging my batteries after a year full of challenges and obstacles, having some me time, and planning for the upcoming year.

5. If you could take a holiday anywhere in the world, where would you go? Why?

If the choice is in my hands, I’m yearning for travelling to […..] on Christmas vacation when the weather is neither too cold nor too hot. There I can contemplate the picturesque
scenery.

6. Do you like holidays? Why / why not?

Yes, I love holidays because I get the chance to take a break from work, to relax and unwind, and to spend time with my family.

7. Do you prefer to travel or stay at home during holiday periods? Why?

If I can I prefer to travel. It's nice to get away from everything and to have a change of scenery. Also, I like visiting new places and doing some sightseeing.

8. What do most people do during their holidays in your country? Why?

During the summer especially, I think most British people go somewhere hot and sunny, to escape from the British weather!

9. When do you prefer to take your holidays? Why?

I like taking my holidays just outside the main summer season, which is July and August. If you go on holiday in May, June or September, everything is cheaper and places aren't so crowded with tourists.

Vocabulary

In my hands (В моих руках) In one’s the responsibility, charge, or care
Eg: I took the case in my hand

Yearn for doing something (Стремиться к чему-то): to want something a lot, especially something that you know you may not be able to have

Eg: I really yearn to have that magic pencil with me

Contemplate (Созерцать): to look at something or someone for a long time | admire

Eg: The painting made me contemplate its theme.

Broaden/widen/expand one’s horizon (Расширить свой кругозор): to make you see a wider range of opportunities and choices | expand one’s range of interests, activities, and knowledge.

Eg: “You should expand your horizons by travelling.”

Plunge oneself into something (Погрузиться во что-либо): to suddenly start doing something with energy and enthusiasm, but sometimes without thinking about it first.

Eg: He plunged himself into bungee jumping

Every now and then (Время от времени): sometimes

Eg: My sister annoys me every now and then

Get-together (Собираться): a small informal meeting or social gathering

Eg: There was a get-together, last evening

Here and there (Здесь и там): in various places

Eg: My mom scolds me for keeping things here and there

Chit chat (Болтовня): inconsequential conversation; gossip

Eg: I usually have a chit chat with my friends


No comments:

Post a Comment