Tuesday, July 5, 2022

IELTS Speaking - Part 1: Name

In part 1 of the Speaking test the examiner will introduce him or herself and ask general questions on familiar topics.

The examiner will ask you to confirm your identity. He or she will then ask general questions on familiar topics such as home, family, work, studies and interests. Part 1 of the test will last 4-5 minutes.

How to practise

You will need a study partner to practise the Speaking test. Ask your study partner to interview you using the questions below. Record yourself if you can.

About you


  •              What is your (full) name?
  •        Can I have your name, please?
  •        Could you tell me your full name, please?
  •        What shall I call you?
  •        How can I address you?
  •        Does your name have any special meaning?
  •        Is your name important to you?
  •        Do Belarusian people like changing their names? Why?
  •        Have you ever changed your name? Why or why not?
  •        Why do so many people change their name?
  •        Do you work or study?

IELTS Speaking Part 1: Name. Example 1



IELTS Speaking Part 1: Name. Example 2

1. Who gave you your name?

Traditionally, in Belarus, the names of new-born children are given by one of their relatives, usually their parents or grandparents. In my case, my dad came up with my name, because it was associated with Catholicism (my ansectors were Catholics) and mum just agreed, because it sounded unusual and glamorous.

2. Does your name have any particular (or, special) meaning?

Most names do, I suppose, and mine is not an exception. Veronika as a girl's name has Greek and Latin origins. My name can be interpreted as "victory bringer or true image". In the Bible, Veronika was one of the women who defended Jesus before Pontius Pilate. So, I assume my parents did have somewhat an expectation when they named me that.

3. Do you like your name?

Answer 1: In the past, no. I honestly wish I had a more ordinary name. I used to blame my parents for giving me such a name which couldn't be shorten like more common names. . However, as I’ve grown older, I am just used to being named in this way, especially when I started travelling abroad my name sounds very European so I guess it’s fair to say yes.

Answer 2: Yes, of course, I do like the name my parents gave me. It’s not only a part of my identity but also symbolizes the love from my beloved parents.

 4. In your country, do people feel that their names are very important?

There’s no doubt about it. In Belarus, names are not only a means of identification. They also deliver parents hopes and expectations when a new child is born. Besides, many Belarusians believe that names are blessings for newborns, so most people would consider their names a lucky charm for them.

 5. Would you like to change your name?

No, I wouldn’t do that, because there are tons of things I would have to do and all kinds of forms to fill in to get a new name. Besides, this thing makes no sense to me. Unless somebody’s a criminal and wants to change their whole identity, there’s no point getting a whole new name.

6. Is it easy to change your name in your country?

I would say you can change it, but I’m not very sure if the procedures are easy because I’ve never known anyone who tried to do such a thing. However, I do think the paperwork required would be quite complicated and the whole process may cost you a lot of time, efforts and money.

7. Who usually names babies in your country?

As I’ve mentioned earlier, in most cases, parents would name their children’s babies. Sometimes, a name is also given by a person who’s done a special favour for the baby’s family, or a close relative.

 8. Do you have any special traditions about naming children?

Well, I can’t come up with anything, honestly. Maybe there were some in my grandparents’ generation, but now peopole don’t seem to acknowledge any of these traditions.

 9. What names are the most common in your hometown?

I’m definitely not an anthropologist, so I have no statistics on names. But I would say unusual names, in particular, of Greek and Latin origin, for sure, are very popular. Anastasia, Maryia, Hanna, and Daria have been indeed dominating the Belarusian name market. This means that these names were in the top 10 from 1991 until 2010. The same goes for Dzmitry, Aliaksandr, Aliaksey, Ivan and Andrei.

 10. Is your name common or unusual in your country?

If someone shouts my name on any crowded streets at any time of the day, I’m sure not many people will turn their heads back to find out who’s calling them. So, basically, my name is still quite extraodinary in Belarus.

 11. What kinds of names are popular in Belarus?

I don’t know much about preferences when giving names to babies in Belarus, but I guess Anastasia, Maryia, Hanna, and Daria have been indeed dominating the Belarusian name market. The same goes for Dzmitry, Aliaksandr, Aliaksey, Ivan and Andrei. Moreover, some neutral names that can be used for both men and women are pretty trendy these days. Belarusians are not very original with the first names. But they surely make it up with their nicknames and diminutives of most first names.

 12. Are there many Belarusian people who have the same name as you?

I guess so. You know, since my name is very easy to think of, it is suitable for some parents who are struggling to find the perfect name for their offspring.

 13. Is there any tradition about naming babies?

Well, normally the parents will name their child, but in some cases, grandparents also want to join in the process of naming. Apart from that though, the family name of newborn babies must follow their father’s family name.

IELTS Speaking Part 1: Name. Example 3

1. Did your parents choose your name(s)?

Answer: Yes, my parents selected my name. When I was born, my parents wanted me to have a great name, at least to them. I have heard from my mother than my father brought a baby-name-book even before I was born. So the credit of my name solely goes to them.

2. How did your parents choose your name(s)?

Answer: I learned that they were inspired by a name they found in the book and they took the surname from my grandfather. Thus they combined the name and selected it for me. However, this was the final step they went through to pick my name. As far as I know, they had to choose from hundreds of names, spend considerable hours to finally become satisfied with the name.

3. Does your name have any special meaning?

Answer: My name is very special to me as it is to my parents. The first part of my name, Clyde, came from the name of a river, more specifically it is a Scottish river. The river was close to the location where I was born and I believe my parents wanted me to be as big as a river! The second part of my name, which is Entriken’, is the family name of a famous ancient dynasty from Great Britain.

4. Is your name common or unusual in your country?

Answer: Statistically speaking, this is not a very common name. However, from my experience, I can tell that I have personally met at least 10 others with the same name but with a different family name.


5. If you could change your name, would you? [Why/Why not?]

Answer: My name is very special to me and I would never change it. For anyone, his/her name is quite unique and significantly important. I might take an alias someday if I need to ghost-write some articles, but changing my real name to something for the sake of modernism or style, is something I will never accept.

No comments:

Post a Comment