Thursday, March 24, 2022

Topics for discussion: Tell your new friend what you know about hobbies.


HOBBIES
Sample 1

         A hobby is something you like to do in your free time. Some people make something, grow plants or collect things. Collecting things is not the only hobby people have. A lot of people do sports in their free time. Some people are fond of traveling or gardening. Different people like doing different things.
         My friend is fond of collecting dolls. She has got a very good collection and she is proud of it. This hobby is very popular with girls. Collecting dolls is funny but expensive. I think it is really interesting. Her collection is thematic. Her theme is Brats dolls. She keeps her dolls in special bags and doll's houses.
            I spend a lot of time on my homework but in the evenings I have enough free time to do my hobby. My hobbies are reading, playing LEGO and roller skating. I like reading very much. I read interesting books, usually about magic. I like to play LEGO. I have built a lot of houses from LEGO blocks and I like to do it. I'm fond of roller skating. I can roller skate but I want to skate better. I've done skating for about 6 months. I'm proud that I could learn to roller skate so quickly.
            I think that my hobbies are exciting! 

THE WORLD OF HOBBIES
Sample 2

           A hobby is a favourite pastime of a person. Hobbies differ like tastes. If you have chosen a hobby to your liking, lucky you are: you have made your life more interesting.
Numerous hobbies can be subdivided into four large classes: doing things, making things, collecting things, and learning things.
          The most popular of all hobby groups is doing things. It includes a wide variety of activities, everything from gardening to travelling and from chess to volleyball. Gardening is one of the oldest man’s hobbies, especially in some countries (Britain, for example). A relatively new hobby which is becoming more popular is computer games.
          Making things includes drawing, painting, making sculpture, designing costumes, and handicrafts. Some people write music.
           Almost everyone collects something at some period in his life: stamps, coins, matchboxes, books, records, postcards, toys, watches.
          Generally speaking, a hobby is a matter of taste.
        My hobby is playing computer games. Both grown-ups and children are fond of it now. It has become one of the most popular hobbies nowadays. I think that playing with a computer is very interesting. It is not only "wasting time" as some people say.
      Computer games make us to think things over properly, they widen and develop our mind and imagination. I have a good collection of different games and when I have some free time I play them with great pleasure. My favourite game is...
Some of my friends have the same hobby and we like to play together.
           No matter what kind of hobby a person has, he always has the opportunity of learning from it. By reading about the things he is interested in, he is adding to what he knows. Learning things can be the most exciting aspect of a hobby.

Topical Vocabulary
a favourite pastime -любимое времяпровождение
to one’s liking - по чьему-либо вкусу
numerous - бесчисленные
to be subdivided into - подразделяться на (какие-либо классы, подгруппы)
to include smth - включать что-либо (в состав)
a wide variety of activities - широкий круг занятий
a computer game - компьютерная игра
to make sculpture - заниматься скульптурой
to design a costume - разработать модель костюма, создать костюм
handicrafts - рукоделие, ручная работа
a hobbyist - человек, имеющий хобби
a hobby - painter - художник-любитель
to have no real value - не иметь реальной ценности
valuable - ценный
to be housed in museums and galleries - размещаться в музеях и галереях
a world-famous collection - всемирно известная коллекция
to start in a small way - начинаться с малого
an item - предмет, пункт
to collect paintings - собирать картины
a rare book - редкая книга
an art object - предмет искусства
a private collection - частная коллекция
to take pleasure in doing smth. - получать удовольствие от занятий
to have the opportunity of doing smth. - иметь возможность сделать что-либо
to be interested in smth. - интересоваться чем-либо
to add to smth. - прибавлять, увеличивать
the most exciting aspect of smth. - наиболее увлекательная сторона

No comments:

Post a Comment