Thursday, September 10, 2020

Exam Topics: Accomodation

 


Accomodation


My home is my castle - the proverb goes. It means that home plays a great role in our life. It gives us a sense of stability, security and unity. The word "home" in this sense means not only a country or some native town but also a type of living. Home is the place we long for when we go abroad. 

There are many types of housing. People can live in a detached house, which is a house that is not joined to any other. It must be understood that a detached house can take on any form or style. It can be a mansion which is a very large expensive house, a bungalow which has only one floor, a cottage, which is a house in the country usually with a garden. One advantage of a detached house is the fact that the free space surrounding the building belongs to the family. You can do whatever you would like to be done in your house. The disadvantage is that all repairs in the house should be made by the owner. Some people live in a semi-detached house, where two houses joined together, others prefer to live in a block of flats.

 It goes without saying that types of living differ from country to country. The most common type of dwelling in Britain is a semi-detached house. I believe that such houses attract people because they are less expensive than mansions or bungalows and there is still some privacy even if one wall is shared by the two houses. Moreover, here you have only one or several neighbours in comparison with those in a block of flats. A disadvantage is that you are responsible for the upkeep of your side of the house. Another disadvantage is that you cannot just plan repairs or renovations as you have to consider your twin house. The second type of dwelling which is extremely popular in Britain is a terraced house. Terraced housing is also known as townhouses. The origin of this type of dwelling was in the 17th century in Europe.  A row of identical looking houses share side walls. In the past, terrace housing used to be only associated with the working class for this type of housing was cheap, small and had very little privacy. As time went by, terrace housing became known as townhouses which were more associated with the rich. One of the major advantages of terrace housing is that it is relatively cheaper than a semi-detached built in the same location. One great disadvantage is that there is typically no yard or garden that comes with a unit. As two walls are shared, there is less privacy too.

Speaking about our country, I can say that nowadays there is no problem of choosing a type of dwelling. Everyone can find an affordable apartment to their liking. Some people would prefer a lovely cottage or a large farmhouse somewhere in the countryside. In my opinion, those who choose this type of dwelling are real nature lovers. One of the main benefits they get is having their own land which is at their disposal. They can plant a garden, growing their own fruit and vegetables. Besides, the atmosphere is so calm and quiet in the countryside. So, it's the best place to hide from the hectic city life and recharge the batteries. But there are some minuses of this type of dwelling as well. The biggest one is that it sometimes takes much time to get to the nearest town or city. Though, the car makes things easier. Anyway, commuting to work will be more time-consuming. Besides, it's more expensive to keep a house than a flat taking all the repair costs into consideration. 

That's why most people in our country prefer living in a block of flats. Flats can be of different sizes: from one-room to four-room. It's considerably cheaper to have a flat and keep it in a good condition. Those who live alone usually prefer a studio to a large apartment. In a flat there is less privacy and you are surrounded by neighbours from all sides. You never know what kind of neighbours you will have. In addition, there's no land of your own. So there is no opportunity to have a garden or a swimming pool at hand.

Apart from that different kinds of accomodation can be rented. If you rent either a flat or a house you can't change anything there even the furniture. It may seem inconvenient, but it's better than nothing, right?

As for me, I live in a three-room flat. Our flat is spacious, nicely furnished and has a good layout. It has all modern conveniences: central heating, electricity, running hot and cold water and access to the Internet. There is a living room, my parents' bedroom and my room. We also have a kitchen, a bathroom, a lavatory and a hall. My mum tends to spend most of her time in the kitchen which is equipped with all the necessary appliances. My father is literary glued to our HDTV. He is obsessed with the news. I'm really happy to have a room to myself. Although it's small, it's really cozy and catches a lot of sunshine. My window overlooks onto a nice garden. My room reflects my personality. Almost every wall has posters which represents my interests. It gives me a chance to be on my own whenever I need it. That's why it's so dear to my heart. Nobody will bother me if I ask for privacy.

To sum up, I'd like to say that everybody is free to choose where to live. But it's important to say that it's not the type of building but people who create a special atmosphere. A cottage or a farmhouse, a detached house or a flat can be a heaven if people treat it with care and love.

Let’s talk about accommodation. Let’s talk about different types of houses.

1. Tell me about the house (flat) you live in.

2. Do you want to move into a new house/flat? Why or why not?

3. What questions will you ask your friend who is going to move about his \her new flat or house?

4. Your friend wants to decorate his\ her room. Give him (her) some advice on how to furnish it.

5.  They say that the place in which you live reflects your character and personality. What do you think about it?


Let’s talk about accommodation.

1. Tell me about the house/flat you live in.

2. Are you ready to share a room with other people?

3. Ask me what my flat/house looks like?

4. Your friend wants to decorate their room and make it more modern. Give some advice on how to do it.

5. They say that living in the city is better than living in the country. What do you think about it?


Answer the questions in comments (at least 3-4 sentences to every question), if you are not signed up on Google, write your name and surname. Answers will be graded.

17 comments:

  1. 1)I live in a country house. It has 4 rooms-a wardrobe, 2 bedrooms and a living room. And
    also backyard.
    2)The city is pretty small, but quite suitable for life (although I live outside the city :))
    3)What street is the new house on? What colour is he?How many rooms are there?
    4)It all depends on the person, but I would suggest pasting the whole room with stickers and posters.
    5)I think it's true, in your room you can do whatever you want and decorate it as you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuliya Mishchenko
    1. We have a flat in a block of flats. The block of flats isn't new but the neighborhood is nice. Like all apartments in Soligorsk it has all modern conveniences: central heating, gas, electricity, cold and hot running water.
    We have cozy modern two bedroom apartment on the second floor. There is a living room, two bedrooms, a kitchen, a bathroom and a toilet in our flat. All the rooms are large, light and nicely furnished.
    2. I moved to this town in 2016. My parents chose Soligorsk to live in. Undoubtedly I find it a comfortable place for living although I will not spend all my life here.
    3. 1) What is your new flat/house like? Is it exactly what you dreamed of?
    2) How many rooms are there in your flat/house?
    3) Is the block of flats/the house new?
    4) Would you like to have an unique interior design in your accommodation?
    4. There are 4 main tips. First of all arrange your ideas into a structured order. Then look for photos of room's designs, colours and fabrics that inspire you. It is important to plan your space and finally set a budget.
    5. I agree with this idea. We can define some character traits by how the room looks; for instance: neatness, tidiness, how organized the person is. Sometimes we can see even something that reflects different interests (music, art, computer, etc.) but it seems to me that it is less typical for adults.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ban Angelina
    1) I live in a flat in a block of flat. My flat is located on the seventh floor. Although the flat is spacious, it is very comfortable. It consists of two bedrooms, hall, bathroom, kitchen and balcony.
    2) I believe that Soligorsk is a convenient town for life. The town is young, quiet, small, developing and has many more advantages. But for me there is one drawback, that there are no institutions or something similar.
    3) 1. Why did you choose the house / flat? 2. What is find near to your house / flat? 3. How many rooms are there in the house / apartment and which ones?
    4) The room can be decorated with various flowers, candles, paintings / posters / photographs. Make a boring plain room bright.
    5) I completely agree that the room reflects your character, because you can make your room what you want. It can be done in shades of your favorite color, hang up posters with your idols. Also complement the boring walls of the room with photos with your friends. And looking at this, we can say that here we show our emotions and character, and your room can say a lot about you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria Slonimskaya

    1. I live in the countryside, in a detached house with 2 floors. On the 1st floor there is a kitchen, a bathroom, a lounge and a lobby (or hallway). On the 2nd floor there is my parent's room, toilet, my room and guest's room. Also we have country yard with something kind of garden (we just grow apple trees and other fruit trees in our backyard, so I don't know if we can call it a real 'garden') . It's very comfortable to live in such a big house, but when you need to deal with cleaning, it's better not to think about.

    2. I was living in a town for 12 years, but then we moved to the village named Tychiny. I can't say that living in the country is very comfortable, because you always should go to the town if you need something to buy. You also need to plan activities according to the bus scheldule or just use a bike to get to the town. But there are also pluses, for example, a really stunning view of the lake from the window, and the air is cleaner because of the forest nearby.

    3.What street do you live on? Or you moved to the countryside?
    How many rooms and floors does your new flat/house have?
    Do you have your own room? Do you like it? How did you furnish it?
    What is the view from the windows? Or maybe you have a balcony?

    4. I think that she should design her own room according to her interests, not mine. But if she really don't have an idea how to do it, I would advice her to furnish room with more cozy furniture, use more blankets, pillows and garlands. I also think that flowers and plants will look pretty cute. Maybe, to understand what she likes, we need to look for interior designs which will catch her attention.

    5. I think it's only partially true. Of course, we can say a lot about a person by the cleanliness and tidiness of his room. But sometimes it happens that a person doesn't always have enough time for quality cleaning, so, this doesn't mean that he always live in mess. We can learn about a person's interests by design of his room, but if he have no posters or some special fandom signs, this also doesn't mean that he is boring or have no interests. Unfortunately, sometimes parents just don't allow to decorate room according to our tastes, lack of money also can be a reason. So, don't rate people by their room, get to know them better through communication.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. I live in a flat in a block of flats. My apartment is on the eighth floor. Flat is not big (it haves only 2 rooms), nevertheless is really comfy and cozy. Also it has all conveniences.
    2.I don't find my town a comfortable place for living. Soligorsk is small and there are few opportunities here. And there is a little amount of exciting places. I don't want to live here all my life.
    3. How many rooms are there in your new apartment? What floor is your new apartment? Does the apartment have all the modern conveniences? Do you have a balcony in your new apartment?
    4.You can use the services of a designer or browse the room design options on the Internet. I also advise you to make a room in muffled and relaxed colors and just add bright accents if you wish. You just have to pay enough attention to the choice of a chair and a mattress because your physical health depends on it.
    5.I support this idea because we all change our rooms adjusting it to fit us. Rooms can show preferences and interests of their owners, how much they love order/what level of mess is acceptable and so on. Our apartment is a reflection of our character.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. I live in a flat in a block of flats. My apartment is on the first floor and I find it very convenient. My apartment is medium-sized. There is an entrance hall, bathroom, dining room, balcony, kitchen, hall and 2 rooms. It also has all modern conveniences.
    2. I don't find my town a comfortable place for living. My city is quite young and just starting to grow, it is small and boring. I've been getting tired of walking the same streets lately.
    3. How many rooms are there in your flat/house? How much did this house/flat cost? Are you happy to move to a new house/flat? How do you plan to decorate your room?
    4. I would advise you to search for different room designs on the Internet. I would give advice to do as he likes, buy things that are close to him, may have something to do with his hobby, because the room is often a reflection of the person.
    5. I agree with this idea. We decorate our own room, buy different books, posters, lighting, etc. A room can say a lot about a person, first of all about the interests of the person, and secondly, the room can even say some character traits, for example, if the room is not cleaned, it is possible that the person is lazy. Of course, this is not always the case, some parents do not allow the child to bring changes to the decor, or they cannot financially afford something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. I and my family live in a block of flats. My flat is on the second floor. My flat has two rooms and therefore it’s not as comfortable as I would like. However, there are enough conveniens to stay. We have a lot of modern conveniences like electricity, central heating, computer, modern items, cold and hot running water.
    2. I find my city a pretty comfortable place to live. However, I want to say that we don't have enough amenities in the city. Maybe I'm wrong, because I prefer big cities. But for people who love small cities, this city will be ideal, since there is nothing superfluous and everything is available. In our city good salaries. Such salaries that there is enough money for a comfortable stay. We have parks and places for entertainment and it’s a big plus.
    3. 1)Do you really want to live in this flat? 2)How do you want your flat to look? 3)Will this flat / house be comfortable enough for you? 4)Have you already figured out how to furnish your flat?
    4. Starting to decorate a flat / house, start with those things that please your eye. First, place them in places that are important and visible to you. Hang LED strips or garlands for more convenience. Buy yourself pillows and a blanket that will be comfortable for you to rest on.
    5.
    6. I believe that this is the correct statement. Even by looking at the selection of wallpaper in the room, you can understand parts of a person's character and temperament. Also, the arrangement of things and office supplies on the table reflect the severity, or vice versa, its softness. Entering a person's room, you seem to enter his world, where you see a part of this person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1.
    I live in two room flat. This flat are big enough and comfortable for me. In my opinion our town boring, there is nothing to do.
    2.
    For working people like our miners that a good place to live in. Quiet and peaceful place to live. But for teenagers it's boring city, here's nothing to do. One fact that this town too small.
    You can go through all city in 30 minutes.
    3.
    I will ask him about city where he will live.
    What type of flat he bought. And ask him to show his dwelling.
    4.
    I can advise him to buy new furniture. Of course

    glue new wallpaper in the apartment. He can even hang vinyl records. Buy some posters and flags of his favorite group. Some people can buy a lot of pillows and fill up a sofa or bed with them.
    5.
    My opinion the same. For a example. If I see a room full of gadgets I would that here lives some geek, but if room would be full of posters, picks, flags, effect pedals and other guitar things, I would think that's here live some musician.


    ReplyDelete
  9. Agatha Berezovskaya
    1. I live in a town in small comfortable flat in a block of flats. We don't have lots of rooms, only my parents' and mine(besides kitchen, bathroom ext), but i think that our apartments consider to be the cutiest ones. Out tipe of dwelling has a lot of pros and cons, but living in a such accommodation for more then 10 years will make you get used to all the neighbors' surprises.

    2. Yes, I do. Our town is not the worst place for living: we have good schools, shops, cafes and houses. Our town is not the oldest and poorest one. We have all living conditions.

    3. How many rooms(and floors if it is a house) do you have in your flat/house?
    For house:
    How many time it will take to you to get to the town?
    Do you have a garage in your house?
    Do you have a yard bihind or around your house?
    Do you have your own room?
    Why did you choose this house?
    For flat in town:
    How many time it will take to you to get to your school?
    In what district are you gong to live in?
    What shops do you have near your block of flats?
    Why did you choose this flat?
    Do you have your own room?

    4. Fitst of all the bedroom he or she is going to live to in should be light coloured. Do not use bright colours! They can interfere you with your concentration. Choose calm colours like blue, beige, lilac and green. Your bedroom shouldn't be dark, because you will want to sleep all of the time you being there. If you don't have high ceilings do not choose long curtains it can make your room smaller in appearance. Minimalism is always good, don't make the room unnecessary. So.. That's all.

    5. Of course this statement is right. First of all your room is your reflection. What furniture, wall colors and the other stuff you choose shows your sense of style. I don't know what rlse to say, but it is truth.


    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. I live in a block of flats. my flat located on the fourth floor. My apartment has a bathroom, kitchen, toilet and 3 rooms. Also it have all conveniences
    2. I don't find my city to be a good place to live. Soligorsk is very small, very compact. Salt mountains near the city pollute the city very much, because of them we have an increased death rate from cancer in our city
    3. is the area favorable? how many floors are in your house? where do you live? how many rooms do you have in your house / apartment? is it pleasant for you to live in your house / apartment? are there any modern conveniences?
    4. I can advise you to look at some interesting ideas on the Internet. You need to start only from your desires, Take the exact idea as a basis and start from it. Imagine in your head. Of course you need to consult with parents and friends
    5. Of course, I agree with this statement, but this is not always the case. in your room you can do whatever you want, but you don't always live in a room alone, which means that you are not alone in managing your room. Also, your parents can often help you with cleaning or decorating your room.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1) I live in a block of flats. I have a three-room apartment: my room (I share it with my sister), my parents' room, a living room. I think that this apartment is very comfortable and it has all the facilities for life.
    2) As for me,I don’t find my town a comfortable place for living. This city is very small, calm and very boring for me. I prefer big cities that have many entertainment places, shopping centers, many opportunities for good education and much more. But for people who prefer a quiet lifestyle, this city is ideal.
    3) Did you invent the apartment design yourself? is your apartment in a quiet area? How many rooms are there in your flat? Does the apartment have all the convenience for living?
    4) firstly, if the room is in light colors, it will look larger. You can decorate the room with beautiful paintings and posters, put beautiful plants and much more
    5) I think this is true. A room can tell a lot about a person's interests and hobbies, what colors he likes. You can also see whether a person is neat or not.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1) What concerns me I live in a block of flats. I have a three-room apartment: my bedroom, my parents' room and a living room. I think that this apartment is cozy and pretty charming. Also it has all the facilities for me to live comfortable live.
    2) As for me, I don’t find my town suitable to live. I consider, that this town is too small and quiet for me. I prefer big cities than towns. But for people who prefer a quiet lifestyle, this city is ideal.
    3) Do you live in a house or in a flat?
    If you have a chance to change something in your house, what will change first?
    How many rooms are there in your flat?
    In which area your house is located?
    What facilities and places of interests do u have?
    4) You can decorate the room with different paintings and posters, pictures according to your taste to make it more attractive and personal.
    5) Yes, I think so.A thing could tell a lot about it's owner and living place is not an exclusion. For example a room can tell a lot about a person's interests and hobbies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice blog and absolutely outstanding. You can do something much better but i still say this perfect.Keep trying for the best. learn Spanish quickly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for nice words! I'll try to improve😊

      Delete
  14. Very informative blog about Serviced apartments. To know more information about Accomodation, go to Dejavu Tranzs

    ReplyDelete