Sunday, December 1, 2019

10th grade. Unit 3. Lesson 7. Learn to solve problems and tackle projects


1. Read the diary entry from Growing Pains by Sue Townsend (ex. 2, p. 93-94). 
The main character of the book Adrian Mole is a teenager. What kind of family does he live in? Do you think his parents are pushy and controlling? 

Write the answers to these questions on the comments here at the bottom of the page.

Then do the test on Edmodo marking the statements true, false or no Information available.

https://new.edmodo.com/groups/creative-10th-grade-25946814

2. A teacher in a British school used the extract in ex. 2 to stimulate students into writing an entry for Wednesday June 30th. Read three of her students’ entries. Which of them do you like best? Write the answers to these questions on the comments here at the bottom of the page.

Charlotte Wednesday 30th June
I got up this morning and heard that my mum and dad kept on having a row about where we are going on holiday. Finally mum went out and bought us 3 tickets to Greece! Dad didn’t know because he had to go to the hospital to visit his poor old mother. She’d been in hospital for a month al-
ready. I had my breakfast, packed my bag and went to school. During the first break I had a packet of crisps and I found a ticket to the Lake District inside! Sadly that was the only good thing about that day at school. 
When I got home, I went upstairs to tell mum that I had won a ticket for a holiday in the Lake District. I was amazed when she replied “You are not going there on your own – you are only 15. It’s  out of the question”. I replied, “All right then I will go with a friend” but she still said no. She denied promising to let me go to the Lake District the other day on condition that my best friend would go with me. 
To tell the truth, I don’t know what to write so I’m going to bed.
Good night!!

Thomas and Oliver Wednesday June  30th
I woke up early this morning. I went downstairs but my parents had gone. I made my breakfast, took it into the lounge, turned on the TV Channel 3, and watched South Park. Then played the guitar for a little while, phoned my mate and told him about yesterday in detail.
My Mum came  screaming  through the door with three tickets to Greece. “We’re going to Greece! We’re going to Greece!” She told my Dad and made him absolutely furious! 

He stormed out and kicked the cat.

Melanie, Joanne & Jonathon Wednesday 30th June
What an awful start to the day!
I was suddenly woken up by Mum screaming at my father, “You won’t get me going to Skegness; not in a million years.” It was then that I remembered my dreams of last night, how I was writing marvellous poetry by the beautiful lakes of the Lake District.
The cat ran away. I had to look for it in a hurry. When I eventually found it, it was dirty from head to foot. Had to wash it,  as a result was late for school. Had to write ‘I mustn’t be late for school’ 100 times. I thought things couldn’t get better but this afternoon things got a lot better! Our English teacher, Mrs Paine announced the winner of the poetry competition and the winner was ME! My prize? A great day out which was where?? THE LAKE DISTRICT ! I can’t believe it. I can even put up with going to Skegness for a holiday. I hope I have a good time in the Lake District.

Finally do a small test on edmodo based on these texts.
Lesson 7 LEARN TO SOLVE PROBLEMS AND TACKLE PROJECTS Test 2

No comments:

Post a Comment